Dean of Students
Lieutenant Colonel Jorge H. Avila
Lieutenant Colonel Jorge H. Avila serves as the Dean of Students for Undergraduate Education, Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center, Presidio of Monterey, California. In this capacity he addresses all student matters and is the liaison between staff, schools, and military units. As Dean of Students, he develops and manages policies and regulations governing student academic and issues rulings regarding relief and/or rebuttal actions.
Lieutenant Colonel Avila enlisted in the Air Force as an Electrical and Environmental Journeyman. He later commissioned through the Airman Scholarship and Commissioning Program via the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corp at California State University, Sacramento. As a Logistics Readiness Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Avila has gained a breadth of experience having served in various positions at base, defense agency, combatant command and center level. Prior to his current position, he was the Chief, Language Division at the Air Force Culture and Language Center at Maxwell AFB, Alabama.
Lieutenant Colonel Avila has been a Language Enabled Airmen Program Scholar since 2011 and currently maintains a Defense Language Proficiency Test and Oral Proficiency Interview score of 3/2+/2 in European Portuguese.
- 2004 Bachelor of Arts Degree in Criminal Justice, California State University, Sacramento, CA. 2004 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, AL.
- 2009 Master of Science Degree in Global Leadership, University of San Diego, CA.
- 2011 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, AL.
- 2013 Executive Certificate in Integrated Supply Chain Management, Wright State University, OH.
- 2015 LOGTECH – Advanced Program in Logistics and Technology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC. 2016 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- February 1999 – March 1999, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, TX.
- March 1999 – August 1999, Student, Electrical & Environmental Technical School, Sheppard AFB, TX.
- August 1999 – August 2001, Electrical & Environmental Journeyman, 60th Air Generation Squadron, Travis AFB, CA.
- August 2001 – August 2004, Cadet, Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corp, Detachment 088, California State University, Sacramento, CA.
- August 2004 – February 2007, Contingency & Plans Officer in Charge, 99th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Nellis AFB, NV.
- February 2007 – July 2008, Fuels Management Flight Commander, 99th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Nellis AFB, NV.
- July 2008 – July 2011, Instructor/Commandant of Cadets, Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corp, Detachment 060, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA.
- July 2011 – September 2014, Chief, Logistics Operations & Plans, Defense Logistics Agency, Troop Support- Pacific, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, HI.
- September 2014 – September 2015, Joint Transportation Officer, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, IL. 10. September 2015 – August 2017, Legislative Affairs Officer, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, IL.
- August 2017 – January 2018, Chief of Logistics, 61st Civil Engineer & Logistics Squadron, Los Angeles AFB, CA. 12. January 2018 – July 2019, Chief of Inspections, Space and Missile Systems Center at Los Angeles AFB, CA.
- July 2019 – November 2019, Deputy Chief of Language Division, Air Force Culture and Language Center, Maxwell AFB, AL.
- November 2019 – August 2021, Chief of Language Division, Air Force Culture and Language Center, Maxwell AFB, AL.
- August 2021 – Present, Dean of Students for Undergraduate Education, Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center, Presidio of Monterey, CA.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
- September 2014 – August 2017, Joint Transportation Officer and Legislative Affairs Officer, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, IL, as a captain and major.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf clusters Meritorious Service Medal
- Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf clusters Army Achievement Medal
- Joint Meritorious Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster Meritorious Unit Award
- 2012 Defense Logistics Agency, Company Grade Officer of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
- Second Lieutenant July 3, 2004 First Lieutenant July 3, 2006 Captain July 3, 2008
- Major February 1, 2015 Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2019
(Current as of September 2021)