Here are answers to some of the most Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: I am in the military and I would like to learn a foreign language online. What can I use and how much will it cost me?

A: For basic language training please use HEADSTART. (Please review this HS2 FLASH SETTINGS GUIDE in case you experience problems with the Headstart product, before contacting us.) Headstart can also be found on JKO.

Our other products can be found on the PRODUCTS PAGE.

Most of our language materials are designed so that they can be used on-line or downloaded to the user’s computer or digital media device (iPod).

All of our materials are free of charge.


Q: I am a member of the US Armed Forces and I would like to attend DLIFLC. What do I need to do?

A: DLIFLC does not determine which service-members come to the institute or what language they will be assigned to study. Normally, students are given one of their top three choices of language. However, often the assigned language can depend on the needs of the Services.

Training seats for DLIFLC are managed via HRC for active duty soldiers, USARC for Reserve, and NGB for Army National Guard.  The courses are PCS length and generally only reserved for language-dependent MOS.

For questions, enlisted Soldiers should first contact their respective PDNCOs at HRC. PDNCO contact information can be found on the HRC WEBSITE. If Soldiers want further information regarding using a language they possess or are looking for language training, they may contact the HRC Enlisted Language Branch by calling (502) 613-5427. Officers should contact their respective career managers at HRC. Career manager contact information can be found on the HRC WEBSITE.

For information regarding attendance to the DLIFLC, Personnel must talk to their career counselor and become approved to cross-rate i.e. change career field. Once a dialogue has been established with the counselor, submit a 1306 form and take the DLAB (Defense Language Aptitude Battery.)


For detailed information about the Marine Corps Foreign Language Program, please go to the Marines Foreign Language Program page.

For information regarding attendance to the DLIFLC, Marines should contact: HQMC_ForeignLanguageProgram_OPI@usmc.mil


For information regarding attendance to the DLIFLC, Airmen must see their career advisor and submit a retrain package to the function manager, along with taking the DLAB.


Coast Guard personnel interested in attending the DLIFLC should contact the Office of Intelligence Workforce Management – Training Program Manager (CG-211) at HQS-DG-LST-CG-21-FLP@uscg.mil for more information.

All other Coast Guard personnel interested in USCG foreign language training opportunities, programs, and resources should visit the Office of Intelligence Workforce Management Foreign Language Program (FLP) SharePoint site at https://uscg.sharepoint-mil.us/sites/ForeignLanguage/SitePages/Home.aspx .



Q: How can I find what language courses are available and where?

A: You can find relevant info through the ARMY TRAINING REQUIREMENTS AND RESOURCES SYSTEM (ATRRS).
Please make sure to select DLIFLC school code: 215

To find out more about requirements for specific languages please review our current Catalog.

To learn more about the Foreign Language Proficiency Bonus please visit the DEFENSE LANGUAGE AND NATIONAL SECURITY EDUCATION OFFICE (DLNSEO).

Q: How can I request a Mobile Training Team and how much will it cost?

A: If you need PRE-DEPLOYMENT language and culture familiarization training for your unit, you can schedule a MOBILE TRAINING TEAM (MTT) by going to our Contact Us page and selecting MTT Request from the drop down menu.

PLEASE NOTE that all MTT training requests must be approved through the Army chain of command prior to DLIFLC being able to provide the training to the requesting unit. This means that your request will be reviewed by FORSCOM, HQDA G2, and HQDA G3 for resourcing and prioritization. If OCO funding is available, you could receive an MTT at no cost to the unit as part of pre-deployment training depending on the languages and class length requested.

Q: I am a civilian/veteran and would like to learn a language, but need to know what the application process is?

A: To be able to study at the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center you must be either in the armed services, already employed by the federal government or be working for a law enforcement agency. The institute is situated on the Presidio of Monterey, (POM), California.

Civilians and veterans may attend DLIFLC when language proficiency is a condition of his/her employment in one of the above organizations. The employee’s supervisor must document the requirement and eligibility. Additionally, the supervisor must provide the address to which the score report should be sent in order to ensure the results are placed in the civilian’s personnel record.

DLIFLC is a multi-service school for active and reserve components, and civilian personnel working in the federal government and various law enforcement agencies.

In case you are not associated with any of the above groups, you should contact the AMERICAN COUNCIL ON THE TEACHING OF FOREIGN LANGUAGES (ACTFL) which should be able to assist you in finding a foreign language school for civilians.

Q: Can members of the general public visit your institute and learn more about foreign languages, culture and your training methods?

A: Our annual Language Day event takes place in mid-May and we welcome students, teachers, language professionals and the general public to visit our campus at the Presidio of Monterey. Please contact us by March, in the year of the event, and we will be happy to send your school an official invitation.

Please keep in mind that hats, sunglasses, and sun block are all good things to bring. Students can bring backpacks but they will need to leave them on the bus and will not have access to them during the day.


Q: My son/daughter or relative is graduating soon and I would like to attend. Can you tell me when his/her graduation is?

A: Since we hold graduations on a weekly basis, you will have to be in touch with your child/relative for an exact date and time of the graduation. Please keep in mind that graduations are usually early in the morning, and that you will need to go through a security check before being granted access to the base.

For more information regarding directions to DLIFLC go to the Presidio of Monterey website.

Please make sure that you have a Real ID for each adult member of your party, in order to be allowed in. If you plan to come on base with your vehicle, you will need a valid license, car registration and insurance documents.

Occasionally, some graduations may be live-streamed. Your student should be able to provide a link to you to view the graduation.

Q: I have a rental property in the Monterey area and I would like to offer it to your students, faculty or staff. How can I do that?

A: In order to advertise your rental property, please contact our Housing office (HSO) at 831-242-7979 to get more information.

Q: I need to verify employment status for a member of DLIFLC faculty or staff. How can I do that?

A: In case when you need employment or salary verification – for a personal loan for instance – please use The Work Number:


You will need to login in and find the employer. The code for the Department of Defense is 10365, Department of Defense, United States (Civilian Employees) and just follow the steps.

Q: I need to access my EDU mail account. How can I do that?

A: Cybersecurity policy mandates that all student account emails be disabled 30 days after the graduation date. If you need to re-establish access to the account please send an e-mail to: helpdesk@dliflc.edu