BA Degree FAQ

Am I eligible to apply for the B.A. degree?

A: Applicants must be an active member of the U.S. military on active duty, reserve, National Guard upon completion of the degree requirements, which includes having applied for and submitted the application, Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) or military ID, and transcripts. All documents must be submitted prior to leaving military service to be eligible and receive the B.A. degree. (Individual Ready Reserve [IRR], contractors, and veterans are not eligible.) Civilians who attend the DLIFLC Intermediate or Advanced courses at joint DLIFLC/NCU locations may be eligible for the B.A. in Foreign Language and should contact the DLIFLC Degree Office for additional information.

The B.A. degree is based on the successful completion of a DLIFLC Basic Program in the foreign language major in residence at DLIFLC (Monterey, CA) and the completion of an Intermediate or Advanced Program in residence or at a joint DLIFLC/NCU location. Students must also complete specific general education and elective credit requirements, which may be earned through testing or coursework at other accredited institutions.

Students must complete the resident DLIFLC Basic Program and have completed a resident DLIFLC or joint DLIFLC/NCU Intermediate or Advanced Program with a class start date after 6 January 2020. DTRA students should contact the DLIFLC Degree Office for information about the B.A. in Russian. For classes beginning on or after 1 January 2024, students must achieve a minimum DLPT score of L2+/R2+/S2.

A cumulative grade point average of a “C” (2.0) or higher is required for DLIFLC coursework. Final cumulative DLIFLC semester grades below a D are not acceptable.

Students must have completed the following:

  • Basic course: 45 semester credits at DLIFLC
  • Intermediate/Advanced: 33 semester credits at DLIFLC
  • Transfer General Education: 28 credits
  • Transfer electives: 14 credits

All students should contact the DLIFLC Degree Office advisors for assistance with their degree plan and required credit review.

What forms do I submit to apply for the DLIFLC BA degree?

A: Submit the four-page application (listed in the sidebar of this page), and a copy of your LES or military ID card (see the application for details).  Mail or e-mail these documents BEFORE sending transcripts. Use the DoD SAFE site to send documents electronically to “”. These documents are required to be on file before transcripts are evaluated. For instructions on completing the B.A. degree, please read the BA Degree Plan (listed in the sidebar of this page).

I attended the DLIFLC Basic Program in one language and an Intermediate or Advanced Program in a different language. Will I be degree eligible?

A: Yes. The DLIFLC B.A. degree is in Foreign Language. Your concentration area will be the language you completed in your Intermediate or Advanced Program.

What are the different language concentrations?

A: Arabic (Modern Standard Arabic, Iraqi, Levantine), Chinese-Mandarin, Korean, Pashto, Persian Farsi, Spanish, and Russian.

GE time limit requirements for the DLIFLC B.A. degree?

A: There is no time limit on applying for and obtaining the B.A. degree as long as you still hold an appropriate status (see Question 1 for eligibility).

GE credit transfer to the DLIFLC B.A. degree program?

A: Students will need to transfer in 28 GE credits.

For more information on GE please see the B.A. Degree Plan (listed in the sidebar of this page).

My GE course work is more than 10 years old. Can I still use them to transfer credit to DLIFLC?

A: Yes.

I already have a college degree. Can I use this to get the DLIFLC B.A. degree?

A: Your previous coursework may be transferable; however, a previous degree does not mean you have automatically met all B.A. degree requirements. Once you apply for the B.A. degree, have your official transcripts, with the appropriate courses, sent to the DLIFLC Degree Office for evaluation to see if they satisfy the B.A. degree requirements. Only the DLIFLC Degree Office has the right to approve or disapprove transfer coursework. The transcript must be from the institution that awarded the course grade; transfer grades from third party transcripts are not accepted. We are happy to advise based on unofficial transcripts before official transcripts are paid for and sent to us; however, if you have not yet applied to the program, please include this unofficial copy with a completed application.

How many quarter credits are needed to transfer to DLIFLC’s semester program?

A: You will need 4.5 quarter credits to equal three (3) semester credits. Each General Education course requires 3 semester credits.

I graduated from a DLIFLC Washington Basic Language Program or another military location. Do I qualify?

A: The DLIFLC Washington is a contracted language program, and therefore does not qualify for the DLIFLC Monterey B.A. degree program. Only the resident Monterey and the joint DLIFLC/NCU language programs have been evaluated by the accrediting agency for this degree program.

Does the DTRA program count for the degree?

A: Yes. DTRA students should contact the DLIFLC Degree Office for information about the B.A. in Russian.

Do Continuing Education Units (CEU) transfer for credit?

A: No. CEU credits are not transferable.

Can my high school Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) scores be used to satisfy any of the GE requirements?

A: AP test scores of three (3) or higher and Higher Level IB test scores of five (5) or higher will be evaluated in the required subjects. See the B.A. Degree Plan for additional information. When ordering AP Scores, the DLIFLC institution code is 1963.

What are the DLIFLC codes for CLEP and DANTES tests?

A: The DLIFLC code for CLEP test is 8431 and DANTES is 8744. You must input these codes at the time of testing in order to have results of your CLEP or DANTES tests sent to the DLIFLC Degree Office.

Where can I find a list of qualifying CLEP and DANTES tests?

A: See page 5 of the B.A. Degree Plan (listed in the sidebar of this page).

Does a grade below a D in DLIFLC cumulative semester grade makes me ineligible to apply for the B.A. degree?

A: Yes, this is true; an F in a DLIFLC final cumulative semester grade makes a student permanently ineligible for the B.A. degree program. This credit cannot be made up.


What DLPT and OPI score do I need to be eligible for the B.A. degree?

A: You are required to take the DLPT and OPI by the end of your Intermediate or Advanced program as part of the program requirements. For classes beginning on or after 1 January 2024, students must achieve a minimum DLPT score of L2+/R2+/S2. All students are expected to improve their global language proficiency through attending these courses.

Can I receive a second B.A. degree from DLIFLC in my second language?

A: No, but it may possible to earn a second concentration on your transcript. Please see the DLIFLC Degree Office for more information.

How may I obtain copies of my official DLIFLC transcripts or DLPT ACE Credit Recommended report?

A: You will find these request forms under Registrar Forms on this website. There are no fees for this service.

What organization accredited the language programs and when?

A: DLIFLC’s efforts to achieve academic excellence were formally recognized in 1979 when the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges and Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC/WASC) granted accreditation. The ACCJC formally approved DLIFLC’s substantive change petition to award a B.A. degree in March 2022.

I applied a long time ago and have left DLIFLC, do you still have my documents on file?

A: If a file is inactive for over three years, it is purged and it will be necessary to reapply and send new transcripts. After one year, you will be required to update your file by sending a current mailing address and military ID or LES.


Mail transcripts to:

Attn.: BA Degree Program
597 Lawton Road, Bldg. 634, Room 11
Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944

via our CONTACT US PAGE, or
by phone (831) 242-6431 / (831) 242-6796.